Earning through Poker in this day and age
In this post-United States vs. Schoenberg era, is it still possible to eke out a living out of playing online poker?
Possible, yes, but it’s not going to be a walk in the park. Compared to the heydays of online poker, today’s players are a whole lot wiser and harder to beat thanks to the availability of various online resources and software. Getting a decent shot in the world of online poker may not be as easy as it used to be.
But with patience, enough disposable income and passion to learn and improve on your technique, it is possible to make money playing online poker. Here are a few tips:
- Don’t make it your bread and butter. Always remember that while playing online poker MAY earn you some cash, it’s not always guaranteed to keep you financially afloat. Never rely on what you earn here to pay the bills and put food on the table. Poker is, after all, part strategy and part game of luck. Get a decent job and invest ONLY your disposable income when playing online poker.
- Know the math. Online poker players these days are a lot smarter and wiser. Hence, it’s important that you not only know the game like the back of your band but also know how to strategize. Identify various strategies and use it to your advantage. Visit sites such as www.gambling6.com and www.poker-coaching.net, read the articles on strategy and improve your game.
- Use the right tools. Applications which can help you track your competition’s and your own statistics can help take guesswork out of the game and earn you higher chances of winning at a table. These software applications don’t have to cost a fortune. Just read the reviews and familiarize yourself with the features of the application you choose. Some of the best ones are Hold’em Manager and PokerTracker.
A bankroll managing tool, too, can help you choose your limits wisely to avoid losing a huge amount of money. If you’re not familiar with the concept, it’s best to get to know bankroll management first before investing on a good application for this purpose. Also, until you get comfortable with the concept, you may want to hold off earning through online poker.
- Rise to the ranks. If you’re fairly new to online poker, start with playing low stake cash games first before going for Sit n’ Go competitions where competition is seriously tough. They’d be too hard to beat and you might lose more than you can earn.
- Don’t just play on one table. Sure some tables may bring you more money than others. But by playing on one table alone, you’re increasing the variance which comes with playing poker. Find a couple of tables you’re comfortable playing in, then start playing. Don’t forget to manage the tables with your tracking software to know your competitions’ tendencies and statistics.
Remember though that these tips won’t guarantee you winnings 100% of the time. As Poker is still a game of chance, luck as much as strategy is necessary if you want to make a decent living out of playing poker.